Today I had the opportunity to serve Sthefani Guterres. Sthefani is from Brazil and moved here with her two daughters Isabela and Gabriela and her husband Alexandre. Alexandre is going to school to get his MBA. It's their first time here in the US and Sthefani is still learning English.
So when the relief society found this out they immediately called me to be her visiting teacher. And I and my companion Sagan have really had a great experience with them. They are both so open and loving. Sthefani really loves to talk (in a good way) and so it's been hard for her since she can't really be who she is. (I totally resonate with that from when I was learning Portuguese...or even still!)
Sthefani is expecting and is due in November, but she has a history of really difficult pregnancies. So recently she hasn't been doing too well. She has hemerroids that are extremely painful. The poor girl. So when they went to the doctor the past few days I've watched their girls. And then today I just felt like I should take them dinner. And even though she couldn't eat it (she's on a liquid diet) I think the rest of the family was able to enjoy a real meal for a change (she said the girls had been eating crackers and yogurt the past few days...except for the one day they are just broccoli for dinner haha).
I think this experience has really taught me a few things (and I mean the experience of the past couple months getting to know her and serve her). One is that callings are inspired!! Obviously I was a given when it came to someone who could speak Portuguese with her, but my companion works at the hospital helping ppl with insurance so she's the perfect person to help them get insurance here! I also was called to the primary a while ago and just happen to be the teacher of the older girls (Isabella's class!). So that's given me a bit of an opportunity to get to know her too!
The second thing I've learned is that service makes me so so happy! And that making an effort to know someone's needs and reach them is very fulfilling! I need to do this with all my visiting teachees, not just the awesome Brazilian ones ;)
But besides being able to serve them, I'm also just grateful that I get to be their friend. And I hope our friendship lasts beyond this ward. They are such wonderful good ppl--the kind of ppl I would to surround myself with all my life long.
No comments:
Post a Comment