Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Guterres Family

11/23/14

Today was the baby blessing of a sweet baby boy named Bernardo Guterres. His mom and dad (Sthefani and Alexandre) are from Brazil and moved into our ward this fall. Alexandre is in the MBA program and knows English, but Stgefani and her two little girls (Isabela and Gabriela) didn't know any before they came!
The first time I met Sthefani was at an activity this summer. I remember that someone had come up to me and told me that there was a girl in the ward from Brazil that didn't speak English. I was so excited! Usually Brazilians already speak English and speak it pretty well. 
So I went up to her and just started speaking Portuguese and she was so surprised and happy. Ever since then it has been so much fun getting to know her and her family. Unlike a lot of Brazilians that come here, they are very humble, very sweet and so thankful for the help they receive. Which makes it so fun and so great to serve them! 
I was of course chosen to be her visiting teacher. And actually, as I'm thinking about her and all that we've been able to help them with I can't help but recognize the hand of the Lord in all of it. 
Chris and I have been studying and translating the scriptures in Portuguese and Spanish. Which I think has helped me to keep my Portuguese up and be able to translate at least somewhat well for her (and her mother in law and father in law that are now here visiting). 
A while ago I was called to be a primary teacher, before they even moved into the ward! And now I teach their oldest daughter Isabela in my class!
Lastly, I think one other miracle I've seen is the visiting teaching companion I have. She just happens to work for the hospital counseling ppl on health insurance. So when Sthefani and her family came and she was 8 months pregnant and wondering how to pay for everything my companion, Sagan Nokelby, knew just what to help them with. 

I can't even express how much I love this family and really hope that our friendship endures!

Alexandre's parents arrived a few weeks ago and what a pleasure its been to know them too. His mom is so sweet and I've had a lot of good conversations with her about the church in Brazil and the church here and just how awesome the gospel is! I just love the passion she has for the gospel and the scriptures. 
Today I was translating for her in relief society and gospel doctrine and it was so awesome. At one point she turned to me and told me how she just felt like she was surrounded by angels here and that the spirit was so strong here. She said, "It's not that the people here are perfect, but they are all striving to be." What a tender heart she has. And oh how I wish that others could hear of her love and conviction. 

Alexandre's parents will be leaving next Sunday and I hope to give them a good present. We invited them to come to Thanksgiving dinner, but I want to give them something that will always remind them of the time they spent here and the things they felt and experienced. 






No comments:

Post a Comment