I went to my parents ward today. Our reunion is this week. During sacrament I heard Leslie Orton's name read in as a new member of the ward. I looked back and we smiled at each other.
I've thought a few times about my relationship with her--my best friend in high school. Even while living in Utah, we didn't get together very often. I thought that maybe I had offended her or something because she would never respond to my messages or texts.
As her name was read and during some of the meeting I pondered about her and what she would think of me. "Just" a mom, staying at home and not doing anything with my education. How can I make it sound good to her?
After sacrament meeting she pulled me aside. She said she was so happy to see me and we talked just as if nothing had changed from high school. It felt like being best friends again. She didn't judge me for what I'm doing and I barely even talked to her about her job (she works as a nurse and also has a 15mo old boy).
She very openly told me that she and her husband Mike might not stay married much longer. It struck me with such shock and sorrow for her. She started to tear up and so did I as I leaned in to give her a big hug. Oh how I wish I could have been a better friend these past 10 years! Yet, at the same time...she never really gave me the opportunity to be that friend til now.
All of this made me think quite a bit and really humbled me as well.
I realized that I shouldn't worry about what the world thinks about me and what I am doing as a mother. I judged myself before someone else could and thought they would judge me that way, but instead of judging me, they needed me. She needed a hug and friendship and reassurance. It was very humbling to me. Because I thought that she was mad at me and was not staying in contact because of something I had done. Stop worrying about yourself and seek to care about others. You never know what someone else is going through--even if their life seems happier than yours, they still have their trials.
Let the eternal things pull you through and effect how you think about your work in and outside the home, NOT the thoughts and opinions of the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment