This weekend Chris and I went up to his grandparents house in Benson, Ut. It had been a while since she had seen them and we figured that christmas break, while Chris was out of school, would be a good time to go see them.
We went up yesterday afternoon and when we got there they said they were leaving for a birthday party. We ended up going with them to their son Sam's house (Chris's uncle). They live in Logan which is just next door to Benson. It was his son Jacob's birthday.
At first I felt a little out of place. Like we had just kinda invited ourselves. But they were very nice and we ended up having a great conversation with Sam's wife Vicky. She was telling us all about the sports teams her six kids are involved in and how she has coached quite a few of them. She seems like quite the tomboy.
When we got back to grandma and grandpa's we stayed up a little later talking to grandma Cardon. She seems to know everything about everyone! I was very impressed with how much she knew not only about Chris and his siblings but his other cousins! They (Wayne and Sharlene) had eight kids, so it's got to be difficult to keep all the grandkids straight.
Today we went to church with them and what a great sacrament meeting! Chris and I were both really impressed with the testimonies that were borne. There were even a couple of young boys that got up and bore a very powerful testimony. I thought, I never would have been brave enough to bear my testimony at that age, much less have such a strong one as they did!
When we came back from church we just had dinner/lunch and talked for a long time. Grandpa loves telling stories, so after a bit I thought, I'm gonna have to record this! So I very sneakily pulled out my phone and recorded a few minutes of a story about the Latinos that frequently stayed with them or worked on their farm back when their kids were young.
Grandpa also told us a little about his mission to Paraguay and the adventures he had there. (I got some of that on video!) and then I asked them to tell me a little about Anna as a kid (Chris's mom).
Grandma said she was just a sweet little girl. Never really got into trouble or anything. She loved to be in the kitchen with her mom cooking. She said that when Anna was cooking with her she would always want to taste test the food and if it was real good she would have to write down the recipe right that instant. And to this day she has a lot of grandmas recipes because of it!
She said Anna also liked to go over to grandma Cardons house which was right next door. She said she mostly went over there because Grandma Cardon had a TV and they didn't. But she also would cook a lot with her as well and also collected a lot of her recipes (like her famous apple pie--as grandpa kept mentioning over and over again).
Grandpa also mentioned a story about Anna running into Mary's car and how Mary was so mad yet Anna still fessed up and apologized. He also told about a time when Anna made a baked Alaska and it leaked out and made such a mess and everyone gave her a hard time about it, yet they all still ended up eating it :)
I just love times like these!! It reminded me how much I love talking to older people and how much it puts my life in perspective--knowing what types if things they have gone through and what they have learned. I felt this same way when I would chat with Madeline Thornock. And it is motivating me to record more history of those that are still on this earth--while they are still with us. We each have a wonderful story to tell!
The old house next door that one of their ancestors built in the 1890s




No comments:
Post a Comment