Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Developing Skills

2/25/15

I've been married for almost two years now and ever since the beginning I've struggled with what to do with my education. That may sound silly, but part of me thinks why did I go and get a four year degree in exercise science if I'm not gonna do anything with it? (And yes, I know that having a college education WILL help me be a better mom, but I just don't feel like that's enough! Maybe I will some day)
At first I thought that meant that I needed to work or even go back to school so that I could work. (Because we all know that a degree in exercise science really doesn't prepare you for a job. It prepares you for grad school) Then we decided to have a baby. And the idea of grad school was just to hard to do. Plus I didn't feel passionate enought about OT so it just didn't feel like a good sacrifice. 
Then, I discovered that I don't necessarily have to have some fancy degree or some fancy job to develop the skills I've learned in college (and elsewhere)! I don't even need to earn money doing those things I like to and am good at, although it is a good plus and would come in handy if chris ever wasn't able to provide. 
That's when I decided that I want to get really good at three things: 
Personal training/fitness
Sewing
Photography

I knew that if I tried to be so awesome at  everything that I would most definitely fail and really not be good at anything. So, I thought, three should be good enough to focus on!! And that's what I've been trying to do recently. 
I've tried to get PT clients but ppl around here are cheap! And I don't feel 100% confident in my skills yet, so I offered a girl in the ward free training to help her get back in shape after baby #2 and for me to get some experience. Today was day 3 and I went to the gym with her and it was really fun! I love teaching others what I know about fitness, but I realized too that I need to be a little more concise in my explaining lol

Today I also got a couple of tailoring jobs! I will be fixing a dress sleeve for a friend (it was sewed on upside down!) as well as some pants and shirts (maybe) for s lady in my moms ward. 

It's fun to sew things and take pictures and go to the gym or read articles about fitness BUT it's just that much cooler when someone pays you for those things or just even values what you do! It was rewarding to see that today and I hope I just keep getting better at these things!





No comments:

Post a Comment