Sunday, January 10, 2016

Christmas and more

12/28/15

It has been an awesome week in Utah! We have loved our time here (although cold) and I think we've used it to the best that we could. On Monday Chris, Mae and I went and visited in the Seegmillers in Springville.  Jayrin was my roommate at Alta and I just love her and her little family. Dan just got laid off from Blentec. He was an engineer there, but the company made some poor choices that led to them having to lay off a lot of employees, including him. So they are now in the market again and we are crossing our fingers for a job in AZ ;). Gabe is 2 years old and as cute as ever and they just had a little girl named Lizzie Jo. She is super cute and such a good baby. We talked for a long time and it was so fun to see all their home projects and get some ideas for our own. I love having friends that are going through similar things and those two just really bring back some great memories for me.
We also ended up going to one of Crystal's music classes. It was so fun! She teaches 2-4 year olds (I think) and she's been trying to teach Mae a little over hangouts, but it doesn't work nearly as well. We went and so did Liz and Brooklyn. Mae was a little hesitant about some things, but ended up really enjoying it, I think! She got into the rhythm sticks--clicking them together--and even danced around a little with the other kids. Chris was super impressed with the class and thought it was a great idea to get Mae involved it something similar down in AZ.

On Tuesday I went to Leslie Orton's house and had a great chat with her. Like I said before, she's going through a really rough time right now. She and her husband, Mike, are going through a divorce and it just boggles my mind. Les and I were best friends in high school. Mike was in my grade and honestly I don't feel like I really knew him very well. They started dating in HS and I think at that point I didn't really hang out with her as much (as is custom when your friend gets a boyfriend). As we talked we both shed some tears and I really had no idea what to say, although I tried. She turned to me at one point and said, "you always knew he was a loser, didn't you?" And I couldn't answer yes. Honestly, I didn't really feel like I had known him super well. That, and it was high school...most boys were losers lol. But honestly, it is just a testimony to me of what Satan can do if you let him. He started delving into anti-mormon literature and kept secrets from her and things that he had done that he shouldn't have. And then it was just downhill from there. He started having doubts in Joseph Smith and the church and then in God. He stopped using his garments and it just got so bad that she left him one day. She now lives at her parents and works only two days a week while he watches their son Matt then she gets him the rest of the time.
I wish I could have said something or done something to make it all just go away. I could see how much this was ripping her apart and only imagined all the feelings and grief she's gone through. But, I think I did my best. I told her of a time not that long ago when I was questioning if all if this was really worth it. If all this trying to be better, but falling short, was really ever going to get me anywhere. And then I had a talk with Chris and although he didn't say it, I came to a realization that I'm so much happier when I follow the gospel. I may never know with 100% certainty that God is real or that the Gospel is true...according to the world's standards, but I know that it makes me a better person, it makes happier and brings more happiness to my family and those around me when I live it. And I think if there is anything in this world that I desire, it is to be happy and content with myself and with my situation. And with time I may get back to having a deeper more abiding testimony and knowledge, but for now, being happy suits me just fine.
I loved talking with her and only wished that I had been a better friend over the years and could just be there for her now. Hopefully, I can at least make more phone calls and try to be a better friend that way.

All week we have wanted to go up to Salt Lake to see the lights at temple square, but unfortunately it's been snowing like CRAZY!!! So we've stayed in a lot and played games with Keith's kids. On Christmas Eve, I think we mostly just tried to get everything done and ready for the next day. I had missed my period earlier in the month, but hadn't taken any tests. I think it was mostly so I didn't have to lie about being pregnant to my mother. She totally called it last time, and even this week she asked because I wasn't feeling very good. Man, is she good! Anyway, I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell people I was pregnant yet, but last minute I decided that I would because it would be more fun to tell them in person. So I took a little dollar store test and sure enough, it was positive! So then I had to come up with a way to tell Chris and everyone else. I bought a shirt and some iron-on letters that said, "Big Sister." That night after getting back from doing the nativity at Kirt and Kelly's I told Chris I had a present for him. He felt so bad because he was thinking I had got so many presents for him. When he opened the small box and found the pregnancy test he asked, "an emergency whistle?" I laughed and told him no and he quickly caught on to what it actually was. I showed him the shirt and we decided that we'd put Mae in it tomorrow and see how quickly everyone noticed and caught on.

Christmas morning was awesome! We slept in as usual (or as much as you can when you have a 18mo old...) and woke up to a fresh two feet of snow! A white Christmas! After breakfast we got to talk to Caitlin in Russia! She's been out for almost a year now and man, she looked so good! And I don't just mean beautiful like she's always been. I mean totally and completely full of the Spirit and the joy of teaching the Gospel! It was so fun to hear her testimony and experiences and the culture of Russia. One hour simply was not long enough!
When we finally got to presents it was close to Mae's nap time and so she really didn't get into that much, but I'm sure once we get home she'll start enjoying her toys a little more.
I was super nervous, yet excited to see what Keith's girls thought of the dress-up aprons I made them. And they LOVED them! They were so much work, but it was totally worth it to see their happy smiles :)
I got Chris a road bike for Christmas, but gave it to him early because I didn't want to, and couldn't really bring it with us. But I also got him bluetooth headphones and I think he really liked them (especially once he worked out the technical difficulties).
We finally put the shirt on Mae at the end of the day and the first to notice was Camille. It was fun to see all the reactions. I think Crystal was the most excited since her kids will be the closest to mine. Otherwise it wasn't super exciting to everyone else, but I also didn't make a huge deal of it. I'm pretty excited, but kinda nervous for this whole process to start over again.

On Saturday we went sledding--Mae's first time ever--and let's just say it was an okay trial run. She really did NOT like having all that gear on and wouldn't even attempt to play much in the snow. We took her down the hill a couple of times and she seemed to giggle a little the first, but mostly just cry on the second. I guess she's becoming a true Arizonian too.

It's really been a great time with my family and I wish I could have spent more time here, but tomorrow we leave to go to Snowflake, AZ. Chantelle, Chris' sister is getting married on the 2nd and we wanted to be there for her bridal shower as well a few days before.































No comments:

Post a Comment